|Bridget Mearns for Mayor <email@example.com>||Received Oct 6, 2021, 8:41 PM|
Hi, I have replied to your questions below. Thanks for the opportunity, Bridget
1) Do you support the continued operation of the Lethbridge Fish & Game Shooting Sports Facility in the current location in Pennaquim Park? Yes
2) The Federal government has said it will place the choice of banning handguns in the hands of municipalities. Lethbridge has an extremely active handgun sport-related community and culture. Would you support banning handguns in Lethbridge? Why or why not? I have only recently learned about this and must admit I know very little about it. I don’t see this being an issue nor there being need or desire in Lethbridge.
3) Do you believe a ban on so-called ‘assault-style weapons’ that were legally owned by law-abiding people involved in the shooting sports makes our communities safer? It is not about who legally owns them, it is about the amount of damage they can do in the wrong hands. As I understand it, the ban is on military grade assault style weapons. I don’t think that military weapons are necessary to enjoy shooting sports and the consequence outweighs the benefit.
4) Do you understand the process of becoming a licensed firearm owner in Canada? Do you have a PAL or RPAL? I have taken the PAL course for interest. I do not own a gun. I recall, also taking the range officer course.
5) Have you experienced sport shooting or ethical hunting yourself? What do you think are the key points to ethical hunting? I have been to LFGA shooting range numerous times and fired hand guns and rifles. I really enjoy target and skeet shooting. I have also attended competitions in support of LFGA competitors. I am versed in ethical hunting, but it is not something I do.
6) Have you used the Lethbridge Fish & Game Associations Shooting Sports Facility or been involved in any of our many conservation projects or activities? Yes I have.
7) Do you support the City’s financial support of facility upgrades at the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility? This would be considered with other community projects during the CIP process. As you know, many factors are weighed when a project is considered for financial support. It would be considered fairly in the process.
8) Do you support the statement that the Lethbridge Fish and Game Association Shooting Sports Facility and related organizations represent an important community sport and recreation resource in our community? 100%
9) Do you believe that the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility should be treated differently than other sporting venues by the City of Lethbridge. If so, how? I don’t think it is any different than other sporting venue that are operated by non-profit organizations like LFGA
10) The LFGA on behalf of its members donates thousands of dollars, and thousands of hours into conservation and habitat yearly. Do you feel this is important at the municipal level and are you involved in any of these activities or do you support wildlife conservation and habitat protection in other ways? The municipality currently does play a role in habitat and land conservation, the protection of the coulee is an example. I am not specifically involved in any organized conservation efforts but know that this is the mission and pledge of LFGA members – thank you!
*A small personal greeting was removed from the reply as it didn’t pertain to Bridget’s response. Bolded for clarity. – Scott