|Jeffrey Carlson <firstname.lastname@example.org>||Received Oct 8, 1:34 PM|
Thanks for the email and the interest in the election. Hope you are well, and preparing for a beautiful Thanksgiving weekend! Please see my responses below:
1) Do you support the continued operation of the Lethbridge Fish & Game Shooting Sports Facility in the current location in Pennaquim Park?
Definitely. With the improvements to the facility, we should be proud to have such a safe and secure, world-class facility for our residents and visitors.
2) The Federal government has said it will place the choice of banning handguns in the hands of municipalities. Lethbridge has an extremely active handgun sport-related community and culture. Would you support banning handguns in Lethbridge? Why or why not?
Honestly, this question is not one that is on my radar, and I had not given much thought to. Allowing municipalities to implement their individual bans would be a nightmare situation to regulate, and one I would not advocate for, or wish to be involved in.
3) Do you believe a ban on so-called ‘assault-style weapons’ that were legally owned by law-abiding people involved in the shooting sports makes our communities safer?
Law-abiding people are and we’re never a concern. Keeping these types of weapons out of the hands of criminals and individuals with mental health problems should be the priority.
4) Do you understand the process of becoming a licensed firearm owner in Canada? Do you have a PAL or RPAL?
As of four years ago, I understood the process, so unless things have greatly changed, I believe I do. I have neither a PAL or RPAL.
5) Have you experienced sport shooting or ethical hunting yourself? What do you think are the key points to ethical hunting?
I have participated in the past, but not recently. I’m definitely not hunter, but have enjoyed range shooting and target shooting. Many friends enjoy the sport, and have participated. I don’t know much about ethical hunting. I assume some key points would be following the laws, treating the animals with respect and dignity, etc.
6) Have you used the Lethbridge Fish & Game Associations Shooting Sports Facility or been involved in any of our many conservation projects or activities?
Yes, but not for several years. I would be very interested in exploring your archery programs if they are still ongoing.
7) Do you support the City’s financial support of facility upgrades at the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility?
8) Do you support the statement that the Lethbridge Fish and Game Association Shooting Sports Facility and related organizations represent an important community sport and recreation resource in our community?
Yes. One of my key platforms is Recreation. I think realizing that different members of our community have different desires in their recreational activities, and providing options for as many forms of recreation in our community is important.
9) Do you believe that the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility should be treated differently than other sporting venues by the City of Lethbridge. If so, how?
I’m not sure I completely understand. The likely key difference would be in some of the regulations and safety protocols which would differ from other forms of recreation/sports.
10) The LFGA on behalf of its members donates thousands of dollars, and thousands of hours into conservation and habitat yearly. Do you feel this is important at the municipal level and are you involved in any of these activities or do you support wildlife conservation and habitat protection in other ways?
I applaud the work and resources devoted. I am an ardent conservationist, and I belong to several local, provincial, and national organizations involved in this same type of work. Thanks for your contribution to this necessary and important work.
All the best,
*Jeff’s responses have been bolded for clarity., The photo of Jeff at the top of the response was embedded in the reply and has been left in it’s original position. -Scott