|Dale Leier for City Council <email@example.com>||Oct 5, 2021, 5:28 PM|
“Dear Lethbridge Fish and Game Association Members and Supporters,
On behalf of myself and my family I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the great work that you do. Although my situation has not allowed me to participate in the types of activities you have been facilitating for a very long time, you have my utmost respect and support. Sport shooting is an exciting, rewarding, and educational activity for a wide range of ages as it teaches responsibility, skills, and respect. I look forward to doing all that I can to ensure this field of interest will be around for a very long time.“
LFGA City of Lethbridge By-Election Candidate Questions.
1) Do you support the continued operation of the Lethbridge Fish & Game Shooting Sports Facility in the current location in Pennaquim Park?
I have a lifelong history of being active in Fishing, Hunting and Firearms so my support for this facility is a given.
2) The Federal government has said it will place the choice of banning handguns in the hands of municipalities. Lethbridge has an extremely active handgun sport-related community and culture. Would you support banning handguns in Lethbridge? Why or why not?
Given the relatively little amount of crime in our community involving handguns it seems the current regime is adequate for public safety. Banning such weapons would therefore have no perceptible effect on the situation.
3) Do you believe a ban on so-called ‘assault-style weapons’ that were legally owned by law-abiding people involved in the shooting sports makes our communities safer?
The situation is not dissimilar to the situation with handguns. While some tightening of regulations may become justified if we observe an increase in crime involving firearms, the realty is such bans are not generally complied with by criminals anyway. The fact that there seems to be no accurately definition of “assault-style weapons” anyway would make a ban effectively useless.
4) Do you understand the process of becoming a licensed firearm owner in Canada? Do you have a PAL or RPAL?
Yes, I understand the process and although most of my family members have a PAL or RPAL, I do not. If I can ever get caught up with my work and other interests, I would thoroughly love to take up shooting again.
5) Have you experienced sport shooting or ethical hunting yourself? What do you think are the key points to ethical hunting?
I have experienced sport shooting and find it very rewarding. However, I am no longer a hunter and see no need so long as we have livestock available.
6) Have you used the Lethbridge Fish & Game Associations Shooting Sports Facility or been involved in any of our many conservation projects or activities?
Every time I make plans to come and participate it seems something always intervenes. For this reason, I am hoping this facility is there for many years to come.
7) Do you support the City’s financial support of facility upgrades at the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility?
The City has it’s hands full financially at this time and for this reason only I am being very circumspect so far as what extracurricular activities I would support AT THIS TIME. Just as soon as we can get a handle on spending, I can see how this facility would serve a very valuable role in personal, professional and community development.
8) Do you support the statement that the Lethbridge Fish and Game Association Shooting Sports Facility and related organizations represent an important community sport and recreation resource in our community?
As per my response to Question 7, yes.
9) Do you believe that the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility should be treated differently than other sporting venues by the City of Lethbridge. If so, how?
No, it should be treated just as any other sporting or recreational facility.
10) The LFGA on behalf of its members donates thousands of dollars, and thousands of hours into conservation and habitat yearly. Do you feel this is important at the municipal level and are you involved in any of these activities, or do you support wildlife conservation and habitat protection in other ways?
This is very valuable work and should be supported at the municipal level consistent with the overall budgeting process. I regret to advise that I am not personally active in the areas of wildlife conservation and habitat protection. This is in no way a reflection of my interest in seeing this valuable continue. You may be assured that, if elected, I will be a very strong advocate for the LFGA.
E: Dale@ILuvYQL.ca Cell: 403-634-7427