|Blaine Hyggen <firstname.lastname@example.org>||Received Oct 8, 2:47 PM|
Good afternoon members of the Lethbridge Fish & Game Association,
Thank you for this opportunity to answer the candidate questions.
Please find my replies below each question.
I do have a couple videos we recorded at produced while on a tour with Allan Friessen. I will have them sent to the email address you listed in your questionnaire.
Thank you for all you do within our community!
Blaine Hyggen, Mayoral CandidateCity of Lethbridge
1) Do you support the continued operation of the Lethbridge Fish & Game Shooting Sports Facility in the current location in Pennaquim Park?
After conversations with various members and during my multiple tours of the property, I support the continued operation in the current location.
2) The Federal government has said it will place the choice of banning handguns in the hands of municipalities. Lethbridge has an extremely active handgun sport-related community and culture. Would you support banning handguns in Lethbridge? Why or why not?
I would NOT support banning handguns within our municipality. I personally have my PAL and RPAL License and have had the opportunity to use the facility in the past with a range officer. I am so proud to here that our facility is a world class facility and safety is always a top priority.
3) Do you believe a ban on so-called ‘assault-style weapons’ that were legally owned by law-abiding people involved in the shooting sports makes our communities safer?
The banning of so-called “assault-style weapons” that are legally owned by law-abiding citizens would NOT make our community safer. I have always believed that any individual that owns these firearms and have acquired them legally, should NOT have them banned.
4) Do you understand the process of becoming a licensed firearm owner in Canada? Do you have a PAL or RPAL?
Yes I do understand the process and am extremely impressed with the instruction received locally. I do have my PAL and RPAL. (Shout out to Allan for sharing his knowledge)
5) Have you experienced sport shooting or ethical hunting yourself? What do you think are the key points to ethical hunting?
Yes I have and I have found it extremely exciting and furthermore addicting! Love the sport and currently looking for my own handgun to purchase….Glock, Sig, S&W….too many to choose from. Keys points to ethical hunting would be to respect the customs of the area where hunting occurs and be sure to have the skills necessary to make the kill as certain and quick as possible.
6) Have you used the Lethbridge Fish & Game Associations Shooting Sports Facility or been involved in any of our many conservation projects or activities?
Yes I have. I received my PAL and RPAL from the LFGA. I have also had the opportunity to shoot at the facility.
7) Do you support the City’s financial support of facility upgrades at the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility?
8) Do you support the statement that the Lethbridge Fish and Game Association Shooting Sports Facility and related organizations represent an important community sport and recreation resource in our community
9) Do you believe that the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility should be treated differently than other sporting venues by the City of Lethbridge. If so, how?
No, I do not believe that the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility should be treated differently. It is a very safe sport and as one of the posters on the wall in the office states, It’s the safest sport in the Olympics as well!
10) The LFGA on behalf of its members donates thousands of dollars, and thousands of hours into conservation and habitat yearly. Do you feel this is important at the municipal level and are you involved in any of these activities or do you support wildlife conservation and habitat protection in other ways?
These donations on behalf of the members of the LFGA are appreciated. This demonstrates the dedication to conservation and habitat protection on an ongoing basis. I will admit that I did not know the significant level of support from the LFGA and our municipality should be proud of this organization and its members. I have donated in the past to wildlife conservation and habitat protection financially.
*Blaine’s responses and content have been bolded for clarity. -Scott
View Blaine Hyggen’s Video at the LFGA Range