|Ben Christensen <firstname.lastname@example.org>||Received Oct 6, 3:28 AM|
Thanks for the questions:
Here are my answers,
1) Do you support the continued operation of the Lethbridge Fish & Game Shooting Sports Facility in the current location in Pennaquim Park?
I believe the location is well chosen and presents little intrusion to nearby residents. I support the continued operation. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
2) The Federal government has said it will place the choice of banning handguns in the hands of municipalities. Lethbridge has an extremely active handgun sport-related community and culture. Would you support banning handguns in Lethbridge? Why or why not?
Most handguns in Canada carry a restricted designation and require greater certification to possess, purchase or carry. I see no reason to restrict the responsible and educated use and ownership of handguns at the municipal level beyond restrictions necessary to prevent the endangerment of the public from such weapons so long as owners of these types of firearms operate them in a responsible and proper environment where and when allowable.
3) Do you believe a ban on so-called ‘assault-style weapons’ that were legally owned by law-abiding people involved in the shooting sports makes our communities safer?
Banning and restricting already licensed users from owning the types of weapons which they have been responsibly licensed and trained to use is alongside the idea of applying restrictions on all knives because one person got stabbed by one careless person. If these owners were already using them responsibly the they posed no significant danger to the public and i see little reason to punish responsible ownership of any firearm by those who operate them appropriately and responsibly in the right locations and settings.
4) Do you understand the process of becoming a licensed firearm owner in Canada? Do you have a PAL or RPAL?
I am familiar with the process. Presently i do not hold an RPal but i have taken prior courses in the handling and safety of use as i previously ran a business in the air soft industry.
5) Have you experienced sport shooting or ethical hunting yourself? What do you think are the key points to ethical hunting?
I have done sport shooting including airsoft and skeet shooting. I believe that ethical hunting is necessary and poaching is a crime.
6) Have you used the Lethbridge Fish & Game Associations Shooting Sports Facility or been involved in any of our many conservation projects or activities?
I have not had the opportunity to personally utilize the facility, but i am acquainted with many who regularly participate in events taking place here. I would like to become more involved in some of these activities and projects
7) Do you support the City’s financial support of facility upgrades at the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility?
If there is a demand for such improvements i would not oppose such improvements if the benefit can be shown to merit the level of investment required, and moreover as long as the room is available in city budgets for doing so.
8) Do you support the statement that the Lethbridge Fish and Game Association Shooting Sports Facility and related organizations represent an important community sport and recreation resource in our community?
Yes, there is an aspect of bonding and relationship building that evolves from these types of activities.
9) Do you believe that the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility should be treated differently than other sporting venues by the City of Lethbridge. If so, how?
I don’t see room for any organization to receive special treatment from city leaders. Doing so crosses ethical boundaries that should not be crossed. However if the city is investing capital into improvements this certainly would call for other considerations to be given in how the group is treated.
10) The LFGA on behalf of its members donates thousands of dollars, and thousands of hours into conservation and habitat yearly. Do you feel this is important at the municipal level and are you involved in any of these activities or do you support wildlife conservation and habitat protection in other ways?
I am not currently involved in any fish and game related activities. I do support wildlife conservation and habitat protection and would support groups or organizations seeking the city’s assistance for such initiatives.
*Ben’s comments and responces have been bolded for clarity – Scott